Vice Chief of the Defence Forces Lt Gen Joseph Kasaon addressing members of the Press on the 2017 Recruitment Drive at the Defence Headquarters.
The Vice Chief of the Defence Forces (VCDF) Lieutenant General Joseph Kasaon launched the 2017 Kenya Defence Forces recruitment exercise on Monday 15th May 2017 at the Defence Headquarters, Nairobi.
The month-long exercise aims at recruiting approximately 3,000 men and women from across the nation, reflecting the face of Kenya. It will be conducted by sixteen (16) recruitment teams in the 320 sub-counties, out of the 47 counties of the Republic of Kenya and it will be overseen by the Chief Recruiting Officer, Brigadier Joakim Mwamburi. The recruitment will be done during the week-days between 0800 am – 0500pm. Those who will be successful will be expected to report for training at the Recruits Training School (RTS) in Eldoret.
The VCDF reminded potential candidates to carry original certificates and national identification documents, as well as to be physically fit and aware of their wholesome wellbeing, not to overwork the body during the physical exercises and trigger other medical conditions.
Speaking to members of press, the VCDF said that corruption malpractices related to KDF recruitment over the years had been on a decline based on records. During the 2016 recruitment, six (6) conning cases were reported where Kenyans were conned approximately Two (2) million Kenya shillings. This was a decrease compared to the previous Six (6) million Kenya Shillings, involving 28 cases reported in 2015.
Lt Gen Kasaon revealed that unscrupulous cartels masquerade as KDF personnel to make quick cash out of unsuspecting, desperate individuals and fleece them with empty promises. He however, warned that this practice is uncalled for and anybody found giving or receiving a bribe would be dealt with in accordance with the law.
He further urged key stakeholders, including the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC), the National Intelligence Service (NIS), the Transparency International (TI), oversight bodies and the general public to support the exercise to ensure its success but cautioned against interference. “The public are welcome to report any misdeeds or interference in the process to the recruiting teams on the ground or to the nearest local police station or call the recruitment malpractice hotline number 0726 419 706,” said the VCDF.
Present during the briefing was Assistant Chief of the Defence Forces Personnel and Logistics Major General Samuel Nandwa, Chief of Personnel Brigadier Martin Ong’oyi, KDF Spokeman Colonel Joseph Owuoth and Assistant Director of Public Communications Mr Bogita Ongeri among others.
Chief Recruiting Officer Brigadier Joakim Mwamburi addressing members of the Press at Defence Headquarters.
(R – L) Chief Of Personnel DHQ Brig Martin Ong’oyi, ACDF Maj Gen Samuel Nandwa, VCDF Lt Gen Joseph Kasaon, Chief Recruiting Officer (CRO) Brig Joakim Mwamburi and Senior Public Communications Officer Mr. Bogita Ongeri at the Press Briefing.